Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day Trip - National Infantry Museum

With nothing planned Monday, Judy and I decided to return to the park a day early.  We left a little later than we do when we return on Tues. since weren’t going to be taking over from Ed and Char. Judy and I got to the park around 5 PM.  Ed and Char were a little surprised to see us.

It was nice being at the park as “guest” for a little while.  We had planned to go out to dinner for a sit down meal at Hunter’s Pub instead of getting a take-out meal as we have to do when we are working. That didn’t work out because Hunter’s Pub is closed on Monday.  We quickly came up with plan “B”. Judy and I went to the Texas Road House steak restaurant in Columbus. Both of our meals were delicious. After finishing our meal we drove back to the park arriving just before 9 PM – closing time. Having our own gate key a late arrival would have been no problem! Judy and I sat out on the concrete pad in our lounge chairs and had a refreshing beverage. Ed and Char came over once they closed out the day’s business and Judy got them a refreshing beverage also.

Tuesday morning Judy and I went to visit the National Infantry Museum located at Fort Benning.  It was a great way to spend a rainy day.  The museum has only been open a couple of years. Judy and I found it a very educational military museum. If you are ever close by it is well worth going to see.  It took us about three hours to go through the exhibits. Below are some of the pics of a few exhibits I took with my cell phone.

The Revolutionary War

Civil War


WWI

WWII - D Day

Korean War 

Vietnam War - LZ X-Ray

Desert Storm - Gulf War 1

Iraqi Freedom

UPDATE: Here is a video I found on youtube that gives an excellent overview of the National Infantry Museum. I recommend that everyone take a look at it, it is a must for military history buffs. I hope you enjoy it - let me know. CLICK Here


After we finished at the museum we stopped by Country's Barbecue for lunch. Judy had the four vegetable lunch and I had the more traditional meal that one would have at barbecue restaurant. My meal wouldn’t be classified as a healthy meal, but it sure was good.

Judy slept poorly last night so she took a two hour nap as soon as we got back to the Cardinal. At five o’clock we went over to the office for the weekly turn over.  Only one camper is in the park so not much is going on. We took over from Ed and Char at six.

That’s all for now.  Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. Another interesting museum I did not know about. Thanks for the tour:)

    ReplyDelete