Sunday, June 17, 2012

National Infantry Museum

I had planned to do an entry yesterday (Sat.) but it was just too busy here at the park.  I reached another of life’s milestones on Friday- my 62nd birthday. I can’t tell that much has changed though. I received many “Happy Birthday” wishes. Hardly anyone forgets a birthdate now that we are so connected on FB!.

I mentioned in my last post that I wanted to spotlight some of the nearby attractions to Blanton Creek Park.  Geographically the park is about 30 miles north of Columbus, GA.  Fort Benning, a major Army Post is located in Columbus. It is the Army’s main infantry training command. The National Infantry Museum is also at Fort Benning.  It should definitely be a stop for military  history buffs. Blanton Creek park would make an excellent base for this day trip.

National Infantry Museum 

There is lots to do here
The National Infantry Museum is a museum located in South Columbus, Georgia, just outside Fort Benning, the home of the Infantry. The museum honors the history of infantry forces in the United States Army. The museum has an Imax theatre, historical artifacts, and displays. A trip here could easily take a day to absorb all the museum has to offer.

Static/audio displays 

Simulators for the young and maybe the old!

I know a few blog readers live in or near Columbus, I hope they have taken the time to visit the museum. There are many other attractions located near Blanton Creek so if you are close by, take advantage of them.

That is all for now.
Next blog: Wed

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I'd love to visit the area and see the museum. In my former working life I dealt with a lot of military members that were stationed there.

    ReplyDelete