Friday, June 21, 2013

Unusual Visitors at Blanton Creek

We have a lot of visitors to the park but yesterday we had visitors that were unlike any we have ever seen at the park.  Judy spotted them during her morning walk around the park.

Judy called me on her cell and told me she and a camper were looking at about thirty swans, all grouped up out on the lake.  I asked her if she was sure they were not geese. She said they all were white and that many had their heads tucked under their wings like they were asleep. She walked back up to the office and asked me to take the camera down and get a few pics.

I got the camera (it is times like this a really large telephoto lens would be nice to have, like Karen's) and hopped in the golf cart and headed down to check it out. I arrived at the lake and saw a solid white mass out on the water. I had attached my telephoto lens on the Nikon and I took a closer look through it. One thing for sure they were not swans or geese. They were pelicans, or at least of the pelican family. They hung around a couple of hours and left for parts unknown. If you can provide any other identification please let us know.




That is all for now.  Thanks for stopping by.
Next Blog: Mon

2 comments:

  1. Definitely white pelicans. How cool to see them in Georgia. I didn't know they went to lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    I knew you would know the correct identity!

    ReplyDelete